Thursday, November 8, 2012

Weekly Repurposing Project: Aluminum iPhone Case

At first, I had decided I was going to use bottle caps, a broken coat hanger, and an old jump rope to make a muscle massager. Needless to say, that didn't work out too well, and I had to resort to Plan B.

I have always thought that aluminum is an interesting metal, and we are constantly throwing away aluminum cans, so an aluminum case for smartphones and mp3 players seemed pretty interesting, since I have a phone that a case would be useful for.



Materials

  • 4 aluminum cans
  • knife
  • scissors
  • scotch tape
  • duct tape
  • sandpaper (optional)

Procedure

1.  Use knife to roughly cut out center of aluminum can.




















2.  Use scissors and sandpaper to smooth out edges and flatten aluminum into a rectangle (do this for each aluminum can).




















3.  Use your phone or mp3 player as a base and fold the four pieces of aluminum around it, using the scotch tape to hold the pieces together. Be sure that you make the case a little larger than your phone so that it will fit inside easily. (NOTE: This step is very complicated and took a long time. It is difficult to explain, and I did not take any pictures because my phone was inside the aluminum.)





















4.  Use the duck tape to seal everything off and cover any sharp edges.

5.  To close the case, just tuck in the flap.


Although I would liked to have soldered the case and made it be entirely aluminum, I had to make do with what I had, and I am still repurposing something.

By making this case, you:
  1)  Reduce the amount of waste being emitted by humans
  2)  Put something to use that would otherwise have been wasted and thrown away
  3)  Eliminate the need to buy a case and use up more resources

I use my phone a lot and carry it around with me, so this was a project that interested me greatly, since my family throws away many aluminum cans.

This case can also be used to carry around other things, such as money or food, not just electronics.

NOTE:  THIS CASE IS MADE OF ALUMINUM AND MAY INTERFERE WITH INCOMING AND OUTGOING RADIO SIGNALS

No comments:

Post a Comment